Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dental Floss and Gu

Sounds like a disgusting title for my post doesn't it? But I promise it is relevant to what has been going on in my life! I have been working on my running and got my days a little criss crossed but I ended up only 2 miles short. And let me explain why...
Dental Floss- I'm sure you know there are many different uses for dental floss besides the obvious but one of the ways that I use dental floss is for my big toe. Weird huh? I have always had a problem with my big toe and ingrown toenails. I went to the doctor several times for these and I had them removed but they would always come back. One time when I was in college (I think it was during the summer), I went to a doctor who said "Yep it definitely needs to be fixed. Let's take it off." He ended up saying he was going to take the WHOLE nail off with NO NUMBING MEDS! That was one of the most painful experiences of my life! Anyway, one of the things I learned during the process is that if you put a piece of dental floss under the white part of your toenail and take it around the edge of the nail it actually helps! That was a little difficult to explain. I find that if I do the whole floss thing for about a week or so my ingrown toenail goes away. This morning I forgot to floss my toe :-) so I had a little bit of discomfort during my 7 miler turned 5 miler.

Gu - I already need to start using Gu and I didn't have any. I fully believe that if I had had some Gu this morning I would have been able to finish my 7 miler. Gu is one of those things that you can eat while you are in the middle of a race and it can give you a little burst of energy and protein to get through the rest of the race. I highly recommend chasing it with some water but ultimately it works and I need to get some before my next long run. I also like Jelly Belly Sports Beans.

I still haven't had any fast food. I even went in to Taco Casa at lunchtime on Saturday but I only got sweet tea because I haven't given that up yet. I made some Jambalaya in the crock pot on Saturday and then I made a Baked Dorito Surprise tonight. All in all, it was a pretty productive weekend. I haven't lost any weight but maybe, just maybe I will have lost some more inches.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so interested in this "Gu" even though I don't think 3.1 miles is considered a long run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally trying the dental floss for my toes!!! And WOW! I thought a couple posts back you said you didn't have self control... I beg to differ w/a tea only trip to Taco Casa!!!! I would have totally caved... so that's Awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete