Monday, July 11, 2011

Rewards?

How many of you reward yourself with a prize if you do something good or if you have some fantastic acheivement? It starts as a child, you listen to your mom and you get a reward. If you don't listen, then you are punished...sent to your room, no prize. When I started WW a long time ago, I used to go to the meeting and weigh in and then afterwards I would go through a drive thru and get anything I wanted. It was my "prize" for doing well all week. The problem was that the "prize" was given EVERY week. As long as I went to the meeting, I got myself some junk food on the way home. Can anyone see the problem with this? It just turned in to a night to eat out instead of  rewarding myself for good behavior.

I have started doing the same thing this time around only it isn't just with WW meetings. For example, this morning, I took the kids to the pediatrician because Mindy had some bumps on her stomach (turns out to be nothing by the way). Any of you with kids know that taking them all at one time, anywhere is not for the weary. Mine are at the ages where they test each other. Mason wants to do everything that Mindy does and Mindy wants to do it by herself. Anyway, they behaved decently at the doctors office but then they had to go to work with me. Naturally, I didn't get anything done. It was a very stressful morning and I promised them if they would just play quietly I would get McDonalds for lunch. Well you already know my pattern, the kids weren't that great, not McDonalds-worthy but I had had a rough morning and I thought, "I deserve a reward for doing this all morning." Deserve a reward for parenting? I have basically been finding any reason to "reward" myself. It is an awful habit that I have got to stop. How do I stop it?

It gets worse! I woke up at 11:30 last night and was hungry but I was trying to follow my no eating after 8 rule so I drank some water and went back to sleep. Woke up again at 12:45 and was starving and I couldn't take it any more! I pigged out on animal crackers!! And then at lunch today I got a sweet tea! What is wrong with me? How do I train myself to have will power and to do what is best for me?  I really want to lose the weight but I feel like I am fighting a horrible battle and it is against myself!

2 comments:

  1. Don't let a little reward or even a little splurge become a major setback. It's over and done with now move on and do better the rest of the day!

    (or that's what I tell myself anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give yourself rewards that aren't food! Go get your nails painted... go a week & get a pedicure, or go a month a get a massage! (Those work for me: you might could do a date night w/a movie!) I find if I have a Goal to work towards my will power is stronger! The longer I go, the bigger my reward, or I cash it in for a smaller prize! I mean... you get a medal at the end of a marathon, right?!?

    ReplyDelete