Sunday, June 3, 2012

4 Weeks Down...

...20 to go! After a full month of training I have done a total of 49 miles. The longest walk I have done so far in the training is 5 miles and this coming weekend I will move up to 6. Things are going great. I have horrible knees but I'm hoping in the coming weeks and months I will lose a little weight and I think the pain in my knees might ease up. It's amazing what extra weight will do to all parts of your body!

I have been doing my shorter walks on the treadmill at the gym and then my longer ones I do around town. Having someone to walk with really makes the time go by so much faster and when you get done you are surprised that you have just done 5 miles. My team partner, Edie has been doing the long walks on Saturday with me. She said it was a good thing she was such a chatter box because we will have no trouble finding something to talk about for 3 days! I am very thankful for that. My friend, Taffy has been doing my Sunday morning walks with me. We both agree that these walks can be a very good source of stress relief besides the yoga we are already doing. We also spend the entire time talking and it is nice to have someone to complain to or to help sort out a problem or just to be able to ask each other questions that we wouldn't ask anyone else.

I never realized how nice walking can be. When I run, I really can't have a conversation with anyone because I will run out of breath way too fast but walking gives me the luxury of exercising and talking and I am loving it!

My original fund-raising goal was $2,300 and in my letter writing campaign I said I really wanted to be done with my fund-raising by May 30. As of May 30, I had raised $2,810!! WOW! I couldn't ask for better friends and family to help me with this experience. Don't worry, I haven't stopped! I would love to make it to the $3,000 mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment