Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day 2 - The Longest Day

After an awesome and exhausting first day, it was a little hard to get up the next morning. We probably went to sleep somewhere between 10:30 and 11:00 the night before. I woke up at some point in the middle of the night and felt sick. I got up and got a small bag of potato chips (salt) and some water and went out in the lobby to eat. After that I felt better. Walking back in to camp, I noticed that there were several people up and walking around as well. We all looked like zombies from the show "The Walking Dead" :-)
Anyway, Day 2 we started out a little slow. We were moving a little slower but we weren't moving as bad as we thought we would! Before we left we had decided we would save our most outrageous outfit for Day 2: our tutus and shaggy bras.

We wanted to wear this outfit because we knew it would help with our morale. We were in a great mood all day and we were excited too because my Mom was going to be at mile 14! We had to be out of camp by 8:30am and we were hoping to be out by 7:45am but we ended up running a bit behind. Our outfits worked too! Everyone we walked by would tell us how much they loved our outfits. The crew told us how much they loved them too. It would really cheer us up when we felt like just sitting down.  I felt like the hills were worse the second day but it could have just been because my muscles were sore.

sea of pink behind us going uphill
We did have a few good downhill slopes but I think that might have been where I got my blisters. We walked through the most gorgeous neighborhoods. There were huge houses and mansions. Atlanta takes their yard decorating very seriously. It was fun to see all of the Halloween decorations. I would love to go back at Christmas.

I forgot to pack an extra pair of socks that day. At first I thought I would be okay but the closer we got to lunch I knew I was going to need socks. We walked by a little strip mall and it had a North Face store. I went in and bought the most expensive pair of socks I have ever bought! $17 for a pair of socks!


Four Boobs
Day 2 was much like Day 1 except that our muscles were a little sore so we were moving a little bit slower. All along the route there were people that were dressed up, people handing out candy and drinks to us, and cheering us on. We even ran into a couple of women dressed as boobs. They were giving out sweet tea! We walked most of the day with a childhood friend of mine from middle school. Her name is also Jessica. We had not seen each other since 7th grade! We met up with my Mom at mile 14 and we briefly told her about what we had done that day and the day before. Seeing my Mom, gave us the inspiration to make it the remaining six miles. When you do so many miles a day your legs and feet are sort of on auto pilot. We just kept going until we could stop for good!
 

me and childhood friend, Jessica


me and my Mom, our inspiration
Earlier in the day when we stopped for lunch, I took my shoes off and realized that I was starting to get some blisters. I covered those areas with mole skin so I could make it the rest of the day. The mole skin helped where my blisters were but I did manage to get more too.
 
When we finally made it back to camp, we went to our tent, went to the showers and then went to eat. Again, we didn't eat much because our mouths were so dry that it was hard to swallow anything. We really weren't hungry either. After dinner we got in the medic line. I ended up having a podiatry student look at my feet. He lanced the two biggest blisters and sent me on my way. I noticed two more big blisters before I went to bed and had to wait until the next morning to have anything done about it.

Roll Tide!
We actually had a little time before they turned the lights out! We got most of our stuff packed up and made sure we had everything ready for the next day. We were definitely moving slow and we were definitely hurting. Once they did turn the lights out we were playing around on our phones (had to check the score of the game!). Finally we couldn't take anymore and we fell fast asleep.
Day 2 was very hard but it seems like everytime it got tough you had some sort of reminder of why you were doing this. That feeling kept you going until the very end.


40 miles done!!




No comments:

Post a Comment