Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Adding It Up

I was blog stalking today and found a few blogs where runners are posting their total mileage every month. I thought since this was the beginning of October I would go ahead and do that too! It makes me feel good to see just how many miles I actually do in one week. So on the right side of my blog, I have added My Mileage.

I just got a pedometer. Actually, I have had several pedometers in the past but I just never wanted to take the time to figure out how to program them. But, my boss got an extra pedometer so she measured my stride and whatever else you do and programmed my pedometer for me. Yesterday, I had 11,897 steps. Apparently you are supposed to have at least 10,000 a day. I am sure I will be obsessed with this thing for a week or so and then I won't be able to find it again. That's the way it goes right?? I hope I will hang on to it longer but that is not usually how my mind operates.

Today, I have a 3 miler so it isn't a bad day. I have been meeting a friend of mine after school every day to walk. I am her accountability partner. We have been doing this for about two weeks. I asked her yesterday if she thought she had made a habit out of it yet. She said, "Not Really." She says that if it weren't for me then she would not go walk. She would grade papers and watch TV. I don't have any grading in my job but I do LOVE me some TV. However, I would not feel good if I didn't at least get out and walk. I like to feel like I have done something to sweat at least once a day. Sometimes, I get up early in the mornings and go to the gym and then after school I will meet her to walk. Yesterday, I met her at the park. I had to do 4.5 miles yesterday so I ran 1 mile before she got there and then walked 2 miles with her and then finished up my 1.5 miles. I feel good because I have done something and I feel good because I have helped her. It is a win-win situation!

Mindy and Me at Race for the Cure 2005
Yesterday I signed up for the Race for the Cure in Birmingham. This is one of my favorite races because it is a good race and because it is for a good cause. My mother is a 5 year breast cancer survivor so it is something that is very close to me. We have been doing this race for awhile now and I have always enjoyed it. I haven't been able to do this race for the past couple of years because something has always come up (namely my sister's birthday). I will be the only family member doing the race this year. It is a tough time for everyone, me included, and so I will be representing my family, myself. I hope that Danny and the kids will be able to come so that I will have some cheerleaders!

My sisters, my mom and me with Mindy and my nephew Jack

Hopefully I will post pictures after the race (October 15th)! Keep checking my miles and keep me motivated!

2 comments:

  1. I guess I should start counting my steps... although; I was told if its part of your "regular daily activities" it doesn't really count... bummer! I to TONS of steps everyday in heels! ha! Glad you are tracking: the nerd in me would totally have a color coded graph of some sort! Glad you're doing the Bham race ~ even if its on your own! You'll have to do one of the big ones in Hsv soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a cheap pedometer that I really like EXCEPT I seem to hit the reset button at least once a time when I use it, while I'm swinging my arms! WHAT. seriously irritating. I need to do a better job of protecting that button because I like counting my mileage.

    ReplyDelete