Thursday, May 10, 2012

Treadmill Training

Training has begun! Initially I imagined myself doing most of my training on the treadmill at the gym. I had always done a pretty good bit of my training for my races on the treadmill so I thought that would be perfect! This week I had to do 3 miles on Tuesday and today. Have you ever walked on a treadmill for 3 miles? Do you know how long it takes? I was shocked! It took me 57.5 minutes to walk 3 miles on the treadmill. I know what you are thinking...."you are getting ready to walk 60 miles and you are already complaining about how long it takes." Here's the thing. Walking outside for 60 miles while I am talking to people is not hard. Walking on a treadmill for 3 miles with no one to talk to and nothing to listen to and it is 5:00am is very hard. But I have decided that once my summer gets started, I will probably do a lot of my miles outside but on the days when I have to walk for a certain amount of time, I will do that on the treadmill.

Marti and me at a Race for the Cure about 7 years ago
So far, this week, I have logged 6 miles. I still have two 3 mile walks to do (which will be done outside) and then a 30 minute workout. This morning, I did cut 2.5 minutes off of my time on the treadmill so I wasn't quite as late getting to work.

My fundraising is almost complete! I quickly raised $2300 so I increased my goal to $2500 and I am $50 away from that goal. Should I raise it again??

On a sad note, one of my bestest friends, Marti has had to back out of the walk due to health issues. Marti was the one that talked me into the walk so I was so upset that she wasn't going to do it with me. I got a little nervous about doing it on my own. Then it hit me, there are lots of women that have to go through the cancer battle on their own. The people that I know that have been affected have had tons of support and family and friends that have taken care of them, gone to treatments with them, done races for them and really just been there. There are some women that have no one. They battle on their own every day. Surely I can do three days by myself for those women. The other thing I started thinking about was that I would make lots of new friends while I was walking.  But it looks like I will have a partner in crime after all. I had been talking to another one of my bestest friends, Edie, about doing the walk and after a lot of thought, she has committed! We are going to have a great time but we will miss Marti! She adds a special bit of pizazz to any occasion!

 JDM

No comments:

Post a Comment